Monday, November 12, 2007

Track Your Net Worth

I've been tracking my net worth over the past 5 years, but only recently tracked it almost everyday. I know people might think this is a little compulsive, but I find the data that I get very valuable for forecasting net worth. With this data on a line graph, I can run forecasting models (linear or exponential trend lines) in Microsoft Excel.

It literally takes me 3 minutes to retreive my net worth on a daily basis. For the most part, I am receiving real-time data. For anyone who has a Fidelity account, you can do this. The first thing you need to do it create online accounts for all your assets (401k, brokerages, bank accounts), and your liabilities (credit card, mortgages, car loan, student loans). Once you've set that up, you then go into your fidelity account, click on Accounts & Trades>Full View. Here you can set up Fidelity to pull data from all your accounts. If Fidelity doesn't pull data from your particular bank, credit card, etc, you can enter a custom manual account. You can also put in the value of you home to offset the mortgage liability.

Once you've set that up, you literally just click on the single refresh button on the top of the page for Fidelity to pull your data. Once that is complete, you can see your net worth at the bottom. Pretty cool! Let me know how it goes!

No comments: