Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cable A La Carte

When I moved to my house in Delaware, I signed up for Comcast's Triple Play where you get phone, Internet, and basic cable for $99. After I hit the 1 year mark, my bill went up to $160 dollars! I called up Comcast to see if there is anything I can do. I couldn't say that I'm switching to another cable provider because there aren't any. The best they could do was offer me a similar triple play that also includes HBO, Showtime, and Starz for $129.

I reluctantly accepted the offer, but it really bothers me that there is absolutely no competition for these cable companies. I know that Verizon is now muscling into certain areas with the FIOS system, but it is not here yet. Another option would be for these cable companies to offer a la carte service. I have about 800 station and only watch 10-15 stations. If there was a way to pay for the station that I watch, I'd jump on it right away. In fact, there is an initiative to have a carte available to customers. Click here to see how much you may save with a la carte service. Let me know if you'd actually save money!

No comments: