Sunday, November 18, 2007

Holy Shih Tzu!

My wife came home the other day and said that we're getting a dog. Now, I have nothing against dogs or pets, but I've just never been a pet guy. However, my wife has been begging for a dog for the longest time. We don't have any children, and I just didn't want to deal with the increased responsibility. Over time, she's been wearing me down and insisting that we get a dog. So, she came home from work and told me that there is a 4 year old Shih Tzu at the pound that will be put to sleep if no one claims her.

I know the Shih Tzu is not the most masculine dog to own, but I'll entertain the idea for my wife. My main concern was the cost of owning a dog. I've read reports that owning a dog can cost upwards of $10,000 over the life of the dog. That's a lot of money! This includes costs from everything including premium kibble, medical care, toys, treats, etc.

Obviously I'd rather invest that money, but there's something about the dog's story that rips at my heart. She had a kidney stone which moved to her bladder. The owner's eventually could not deal with the surgery so they gave her up. She's had the surgery and is recuperating, but will be put to sleep if no one claims her. How could I let that happen when my wife has been asking for a dog and this is exactly what she's looking for? So, I think I'll give her the green light to start the process. I'll keep you posted on the progress, but is there anything else that I should be asking?

No comments: